Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Blueberry picking.

We were asked to join some friends on a trip to a local fruit farm to pick our own blueberries. The farm was tucked away down a long winding single track road so I was very glad to be following the other cars. I don't think I would ever have found it myself.

When we got there we did a quick check-list... Sunscreen, mozzie repellent, hats, water bottles. It felt like we were about to go trekking through wild unchartered jungles!

A quick hello to the owners who gave some advice to the kids about which berries were ripe, (the blue/black ones) which ones were the sweetest (the big plump ones about the size of a marble) and how to pick them (put your hand underneath the fruit and "tickle" them?!!)

Off we marched with our empty buckets and opened the gate into the blueberry field.

The kids started gingerly, asking advice before picking each berry and not daring to eat any. Over the next hour they gained confidence and were soon pushing their way through the densest corner of the overgrown field.

They were filling their buckets at an alarming rate! And their mouths too! I was paying by weight and had no idea what a full bucket of blueberries would cost. I had brought $50 cash with me. In the supermarket a small punnet costs about $6-$9 and the kids had at least 10 punnets worth between them.

When we went to weigh in back at the farm house I held my breath waiting to hear the final bill. I was wondering which child to try selling if we went over the $50! After an agonising wait while the lady carefully tied up the kids berries in net bags she told me we owed a grand total of $14.50! Bargain! Good job she didn't weigh the kids going in and out. I think we might have owed a bit more!

We now have a fridge full of juicy blueberries. We have lots of plans to bake some wonderful treats. Blueberry muffins, pies and smoothies.....


We had a lovely day and will definitely be making a return trip.

1 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. I know this is a very old post but I am enjoying your blog so much! This post reminds me of one of my favorite books from my childhood, "Blueberries For Sal" where Sal and a baby bear surprise their mothers by switching places and both eat their fair share of blueberries. Actually, the illustrations are what tickle me the most.

    Kids look content and proud!