Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rugby News

It's been a busy few weeks with Gareth playing rugby every Saturday morning and attending his rugby training every Tuesday evening. I think I enjoy it more than he does to be honest, my little lad playing rugger, that's my boy!

Anyway, it generally means that the whole family is leaving the house by 8am to go and watch the little terrier play. I'm not sure if he's totally committed to playing yet; he does seem to have fun running around the pitch with his mates, but being only 5 he frequently loses concentration and spins around "doing helicopters Dad" while the game carries on around him. Sian also loves rugby training although her age group now plays full contact rugby, and I'm not too keen on her getting her teeth knocked out, so she trains with the younger ones.

During match time as we all cheer Gareth on, I can't help shouting "Gareth! Get stuck in there" or "Gareth! Watch the bloody ball" every so often, but I should really just keep quiet and applaud at the end when the game is over.

There are other times when I should keep my mouth shut too....

Just last weekend I decided to congratulate a rather old and gnarly referee on a good game. As soon as he discovered I was Welsh it was handshakes all round, and a "follow me, I've got something to show you". Anyhow, after proudly showing me a 1992 Ebbw Vale rugby shirt that he carries around in his bag (not sure why!), he was absolutely convinced that I'd love to play rugby with the "golden oldies". From what I can gather these are hardened, seasoned pros that have never stopped playing.

And would like nothing else to flatten a newbie like me I thought...

"You'll fit right in" says the delighted referee at his newly found recruit.
"It will be great" says Gina thinking of all the new people I'd get to meet.
"Go for it" says Mr Newton with a twinkle in his eye.

On reflection, I may give this opportunity a miss. After all, Mrs B banned me from contact sports years ago after several shoulder dislocations. She even banned me from my favourite game of badminton for the same reason (it was a hell of a good backhand smash, although it was a shame my shoulder hit the net). So, banned from contact sports and badminton. But rugby is okay apparently !

When I mentioned to the ref that I had dislocating shoulders he quipped "that's okay, if you are carrying any injuries you wear red shorts so you get tagged instead of being fully tackled".

Rightio.

So, in the heat of the moment, as 'arry the 'orrible is charging for me, he's going to notice my red shorts and slow down and tag me? Or does instinct take over and he just chews my head off instead....?

I'm not convinced. I'd better improve my medical insurance cover fast.

0 comments - click here to leave your comment: