Friday, March 04, 2011

Teisen Lap

One of the traditional recipes from Byrons childhood was a currant and sultana cake called Teisen Lap. My Boss here in Australia is also of Welsh birth although she has lived here for many years. As we passed on the stairs of the hospital last week I asked her if she was looking forward to St David's day. As we carried on our way she called back with a smile... "I love Teisen Lap!"

It got me thinking about cooking and baking and so I decided to email my Mother-in-law for her recipe. As I waited for her reply I found a website with the recipe completely in Welsh. I emailed my boss telling her I had the recipe, all I needed now was a dictionary to translate! 


Luckily I had my Mother-in-law for that and so I hereby gladly share with you her version of this Welsh cake/bread.

1\2lb self-raising flour
pinch of salt
1\2 tsp ground nutmeg
4ozs butter 
2oz caster sugar
4oz currants
2 eggs
1\4 pint milk


Put flour, salt, nutmeg and butter in bowl and mix together until nice and soft.
Add sugar and currants, beat eggs and half of the milk in separate container, add to mixture.
If too dry add rest of milk.  
Grease tin add mixture and cook for approx 45 minutes.


This is the result. 




Gone within one afternoon and so a second batch was made and, finally the night before St David's day, a third batch so I could bring some in for my boss. 

3 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe!

     
  2. yep im gonna try this... my maiden name is Griffin!!!

     
  3. Hi Gina,
    How lovely to see some welsh...and thanks for the teisien lap recipe. I have to say, reading through your St David's day breakfast post I was put to shame - what a great effort.
    x