Monday, July 13, 2009

Garden Cake

Sian read out a recipe from a website to me last week. It was a recipe for "Garden Cake" and was made with carrots, bananas and zucchini.

I have never in my life eaten a zucchini so when I saw them in the supermarket the next day I threw one in the trolley and went home to ask Sian when she wanted to make the cake. Her reaction was not what I expected. She wrinkled up her face and said she had only read out the recipe to me because she thought it sounded horrible, who in their right mind would want to eat a cake made of vegetables?

The zucchini sat in the fridge and was ignored and ignored. I looked at it this afternoon and knew I either had to use it today or throw it in the bin. I got out the grater and this is what I made....

1 grated Zucchini
1 grated Carrot
1 mashed ripe Banana
1 cup of soft Brown Sugar
1/2 cup of Olive Oil
2 lightly beaten eggs
2 cups of Self-Raising Flour
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon

Grate the zucchini and carrot and add the mashed banana.


Mix the oil, sugar and eggs with a hand whisk until blended. Add to banana mixture.

Sift flour and cinnamon over the top and mix to combine.

Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin or individual muffin cases.

Cook in 180C oven until golden brown: about 45 minutes for the loaf tin and 15 minutes for the muffins.

Get previously reluctant daughter to taste test them!

4 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. I love this story....and the recipe sounds quite tasty ~ I'm going to have to give it a try.

     
  2. I think I might just try this cake, is it nice? I too have never tasted a zucchini. Sure I only tasted sweet potatoes for the first time this year!!

     
  3. We ate it warm straight out of the oven. For a very healthy cake it tasted good! If I were blindfolded I might have guessed at a similar taste to banana bread or carrot cake but I didn't taste anything too "green" !!!

     
  4. zucchini is really nice fried with a little onion or just steamed in the steamer not sure about in a cake.Karen