Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Gareth!

Today my baby turns 9!

What an amazing 9 years he has had. Born in England to an Irish Mum and a Welsh Dad, he celebrated his 1st Birthday in Sydney as his Uncle Joe married his Auntie Rhonda, back in England for Birthday number 2 and emigrated and living in Australia by Birthday number 3!

Gareth we love you. You know the story of how you were so lucky to be here with us. That I became pregnant with you around our other baby's due date. That if that baby had been born you never would. You know that we were so scared as we went in for your scan, knowing a previous one had ended with such sad news. That your Dad whooped with joy when he learnt that he was having a son. You were so very much wanted and loved.

The delivery didn't go as planned. The nurse told your Dad afterwards that you were so lucky to be alive, that I was too. You scared the living daylights out of us this day 9 years ago. We had to wait for blood cord samples to return to tell us if you might be brain damaged. We felt enormous relief when everything came back clear and you grew and grew into a perfectly happy and healthy baby. I still get a lump in my throat if I see a mentally disabled child being pushed around in a wheelchair as I know that "There but for the grace of God go I" My eyes fill up as I offer a prayer of thanks that you were given the chance of a healthy life.

And what a BIG baby you were! Almost twice the size of your sisters. Always eating and drinking everything around you. You have grown into such a fine young man. You have a wonderful balance between boyish rough and tumble and sweet caring nature. Sometimes too soft for your own good but we wouldn't change a thing about you. As you grow older I think you will become a wonderful strong teenager and adult. Your friends are lucky to have you stand beside them. Whether is is on a rugby pitch or playing Nerf wars with those blasted foam bullets that I find everywhere!

Happy Birthday 9 year old. May there be many many more years of fun and laughter to come.

You make our family complete...

4 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. Happy 9th birthday Gareth!!! I hope that today brings lots of fun, pressies and cake. Have a great day. x

     
  2. Oh Gina, you make me cry. What a beautiful tribute to your gorgeous boy! But..... where are the moustache photos????

     
  3. This is a love ode to Gareth, only a Mother can write so many touching things all together.
    I lost a child before my last one was born, I never thought that she was conceived around the date when the other baby was due, it is a consoling thought, although I can not think of a life without Isabella now.
    Happy birthday, Gareth, from the other side of the world.

     
  4. how wonderfully written!
    happy birthday, Gareth!