Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mothers Day.

It is Mother's Day in Ireland and Wales this weekend. Australian Mothers day is in another couple of months so we have to be on the ball not to forget to organise presents and cards for Granny in Dublin and Nanny in Wales. There are no Mothers Day cards in the shops here yet and no displays of "perfect gifts" strategically placed at the entrance of Target and K Mart. We have to get the creative juices flowing early enough to wrap and post a good couple of weeks ahead of time.

This year Rhiannon came up with an idea. We went to K Mart and bought a plain white hand towel. Next we drove into Newcastle to a great fabric shop and chose some nice purple flower print fabric and a contrasting lilac.

Over the following weekend we cut and tacked, pinned and ironed...


Stitched and un-stitched, snipped and trimmed...



Until eventually we ended up with these!




Cards were made and the towels were carefully wrapped and parcelled up and addressed. Hopefully this morning our parcels will be sitting on the other side of the world ready to be opened and enjoyed.

Granny and Nanny you may be far away but you are always in our kids hearts!

7 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. I am just finished my lovely breakfast made with love from my kids. I am not gettin dressed today and plan to chill for the whole day. I only have to run across the road to see my own Mammy and that can be done in my jambos. Happy Mother's Day.

     
  2. I love the towels. You inspire me to learn to sew. I never learned and now that I have a very crafty and creative child I feel that sewing would broaden our crafting horizons a bit. I need to find an old machine.

    Happy Mother's Day to you! Do you get to celebrate Irish and Australian Mother's Day? I think you should. Have a great day!

     
  3. Granny and Nanny are very lucky... I am sure they feel the love you sent them!! Great idea!!

     
  4. Wow How sweet is that!!!
    She has a beautiful smile!
    Happy Mother's Day!

     
  5. Why we cannot be like the rest of the world is beyound me.. my Amercian friends thought I was joking.

    Happy Mothers Day!

     
  6. How great is this. I love how you made something special yourself. Handmade gifts are my favorites.

    I won't get a Mother's Day Card until May as my daughter said she's sticking with American Holiday dates. I'm okay with that, but it was a bit sad around here yesterday until my neighbor brought me a little bouquet from church.

    I hope your day was special.

     
  7. What a great idea! Those towels are adorable -- and I love that they're handmade by your daughter! I'm sure both grandmothers were thrilled when they opened thier packages!

    Happy mother's day!