Thursday, June 19, 2014

19:06:14 (Gina's) Ballymaloe Country Relish

I was experimenting in the kitchen yesterday. I got a mad craving for an Irish Chutney called "Ballymaloe Country Relish" The only official stockists are miles away from us so I started searching online for recipes instead. I came across the one below. It took three hours and about $15 of ingredients to make 6 small jars (Just under 200mls in each) A reasonably long time in the kitchen for not a huge return but now that I know it worked I think I would double or treble the ingredients and make a huge batch as the cleaning up is not going to take any longer than it did for the small batch. The tomatoes made up the majority of the cost and I did go for the good vine-ripened ones so if they were in season and selling cheap it would then reduce the cost of the relish.  I sterilized the jars in the oven and the lids by simmering in a pan of boiling water. It says that if done properly the relish should stay good for at least 12 months. Somehow I don't see them lasting long enough to test that theory! 

800g vine tomatoes chopped
200g cherry tomatoes chopped
250g cooking apples chopped
250g chopped brown onion
225ml white wine vinegar
175g raisins
300g sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp nutmeg

1. Throw all ingredients in to a big pot. Let sugar dissolve and then bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Then bring down to a simmer and leave to simmer for an hour, stirring the whole time to avoid the end of the pot burning (It took mine over two hours to really reduce down to a good consistency)

2. When done, put into sterilised clean glass jars. (You can sterilise them by placing them in the oven at 130C for 25 mins). Secure lids tightly. These are best enjoyed if left to mature for a week or two first, but I had some of mine that day and it was really nice too.

2 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. Sounds Delicious Gina. I really will make some today, & excellent timing As Huw bought a set of really cute & oh so useful now small storage jars.
    Aunty jul x

     
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.