Thursday, March 17, 2011

St Patrick's Day 2011

Today is St Patrick's Day. A day of celebration for all Irish and wanna-be-Irish all over the world!

In the lead up to this St Patrick's Day I was feeling tired. My desire to go all out celebrating was low. Byron was leaving early in the morning to go on a work course to Sydney. I was dropping the kids to a friend at 6.45 am so I could go to work. The idea of cooking a big fancy meal at the end of my hospital shift didn't make me break into an Irish jig with excitement.

And then the unexpected happened. The news of the earthquake in Japan, the fear and anxiety waiting to hear from my brother in Tokyo. The emotional reunion when he landed in Australia with his wife and young kids. How could we not celebrate?

And so I went shopping and bought the ingredients for Beef and Guinness pie and put them in the slow-cooker the night before, cleaned and scrubbed the house and set the table at 5.30am before waking the kids and getting them out the door. It was exhausting but worth it when everyone spilled through the door this evening.

The house was noisy and full of green, white and orange balloons from my family in Ireland.

Byron surprised us by getting home a bit earlier from Sydney than expected and joining us for our dinner.
Glasses were raised. Toasts were made and everyone was remembered on this side of the world and of course in Ireland too. It was the perfect way to celebrate, surrounded by noise and mess and food and drink and kids running and playing together. We even lined up a video skype call with my family in Ireland to let them share in the celebration.
Family. Who would have it any other way!

2 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. Sounds like you did a great job with the celebration! :)

     
  2. Bad Auntie Gina!! Corrupting young minds with your lovely treats!! Lovely to see you all having fun, lots of love Cathy XX