Friday, October 02, 2009

Stressed to the eyeballs.

Have you ever heard that expression before? It's one I have heard used in Dublin where I grew up but I don't know if it is one used in other places? I guess it is supposed to mean that you are stressed from the tips of your toes all the way up. Occasionally my head is so full of "stuff" that it feels like my eye balls will pop out, luckily it hasn't actually ever happened!


I went to the optician at the weekend so we could all have our eyes tested. The three kids got a clean bill of health, Byron ordered some prescription sunglasses and then it was my turn. As I read the lines of increasingly smaller text I knew I wasn't seeing as far as I had on previous check ups. Last year I was told I was "borderline" for glasses and I was guessing this year I had stepped over that line.

What I wasn't expecting was the optician to look deep into my eyes and ask me if I was sick? Apparently I have some nodules on the skin inside my eyes that he said were found on immuno-compromised people or people who had had a run of coughs and colds. I have been lucky this winter and have escaped most nasty bugs.

Then he asked me if I was stressed. Stressed! Did he have an hour to talk, or two, or three? Yes, the last year has been a bit stressy. When the only bread winner in the family lost his job and it took three months to get money coming back into the bank account, I got stressed. When I went from being a stay at home mum to working shift work as a nurse, I got stressed. When I have a pile of laundry threatening to avalanche down on me every time I open the laundry room door- yes I get stressed. Now show me someone who is stress free? Because I want them to be my new best friend. They can share their chilled out zen with me and I will share my laundry with them! It's life Mr Optician. Am I truly more stressed that your average mum dragging three kids in for an eye test?

And so I end this blog rant and rave with plans to go some deep-breathing-positive-affirmation-chanting-yoga-meditation-something-or-other knowing that I, Gina, can truthfully say:

I am Stressed to the eye balls!!!! AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!

3 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the eye exam and I send my hugs to you during stressful times. Being a mom is not easy, even though we wouldn't trade it for the world.

    My husband and I were just saying tonight about how difficult it is to be thankful for what we have and to not stress over what we don't. Although we have lost a child, we have much to be thankful for and we recognize that, although we have to be reminded of it constantly.

    You seem like such a compassionate woman. I will pray for peace for you my friend.

    Also, thanks for the advice on my comment section of my blog about editing a comment. I am so excited that I have a solution! :)))

    With love and hope,
    Cheryl

     
  2. A stress free mother.....I think that is an urban legend! :) Sometimes as I single mom, I think my stress level must be off the charts....but then I realize that while I am a working single mom, there are some who are single parents and they are out of work. When I find myself becoming too stressed out over everyday life, I try to look at the bigger picture and it generally settles me down.

     
  3. Stress unfortunately is in the job drescription. So is guilt. It sucks!