Friday, October 09, 2009

Tomatoes

The kids are on school holidays this week and the girls have had party invites and play dates leaving myself and Gareth to have some quality time together. What do you do with a 6 year old boy? Well today I took him to meet Byron for lunch and he walked hand in hand between both of us grinning from ear to ear. He doesnt often have our undivided attention and he was making the most of it.

Next stop was a more boring one at a huge fruit and veg shop. I guessed wrong. Gareth thought he was in seventh heaven as he loaded up the trolley with melons, bananas, mangos (our first of the season, they smelt heavenly!) apples, pineapple, cucumbers, tomatoes and then...
... the icing on the cake, he saw some plants on sale,
TOMATO plants!

They were pale and scrawny and looked like they were in dire need of some TLC. Gareth decided he was the man for the job and begged me to let him buy them. How could I say no.



When we got home it was getting late. I was hungry, dinner needed cooking. All Gareth wanted to do was dig holes to replant his tomatoes. He was so enthusiastic it reluctantly rubbed off on me. We got out the big spade and made the holes and he carefully turned the plants out from their pots and sat them in their new home and squashed the earth in around their roots. All we need to do now is wait for the bumper crop of tomatoes that we are sure to harvest any day now...??!







5 comments - click here to leave your comment:

  1. That fruit looks delicious! What a blessing to have such a harvest to choose from :)

    I'm glad that you were able to have "alone time" with your son. He will remember those times forever. In a large family it seems like those times are not taken for granted by the children (or the parents).

    With love and hope,
    Cheryl

     
  2. Mmmmm, nothing beats homegrown tomatoes! Enjoy!!

     
  3. This so reminds me of 'my Gareth' and I - we were always doing things together and that's what cultivated his continuing interest in the how and why of things. What a buzz he's going to get when they start to blossom - and when he eats one - wow! :) You're doing a great job Gina - with all your children.

     
  4. Well done Gareth,
    Can we see tomatoes growing already?, hope you have a good crop.

     
  5. How adorable! I love his excitement. Good luck with your tomatoes.